Academic editing should be done by experts. All our reviewers are degree-holding native speakers of English or Spanish with wide experience in both academia and business editing. Our premium editing service involves two different editors reviewing your manuscript.
What does academic editing include?
Our academic editing offering (available in English and Spanish) includes:
· Publication-ready manuscript
· Complete manuscript formatting
· Abstract editing
· Reviewer response assistance
The trickiest part is that every text is different, so is it very difficult to know in advance how much time a text will take.
Academic editing for Which journal or publication?
If there is agreement with the amount of time we estimate, we need to know where you intend to publish it.
As a writer/customer you need to be active participants in the next process, since you remain the experts in the subject matter. We are merely helping you package it in the culturally and academically correct way.
How does the process work?
Step 1: Briefly skim the text to familiarize ourselves with the contents to determine whether the text is “eligible” for this service. In other words, in some texts the English or content are simply so bad that they need a re-translation in the former or a total reworking of the content in the latter.
Outcome: The outcome of this “initial intake” is a brief report in which we:
- give general recommendations on what the paper needs and estimate the amount of time for this service, or
- recommend a re-translation, a complete re-write, or whatever else it might need if it is not close enough to being publishable.
That’s delicate, so we can talk about it…
Step 2: Read the text more carefully and correct any “cosmetic” changes needed (spelling, punctuation, etc.). At this stage we will make ourselves more familiar with the content so we can start working on specific points that need improvement in terms of clarity, organization, etc.
Outcome: The outcome of this step would be an edited text, and a series of talking points with the customer. At this point, we
- send you the text with questions, and then
- videoconference with you to clarify and find solutions.
Speaking directly to the customer is almost always essential, unless just a few brief corrections are needed. Sometimes the language or organization is unclear and we might need you to explain why you wrote certain things, etc.
Step 3: Videoconference to discuss points. At this stage we can discuss details and determine where certain content should be moved. It’s common to have to shift content around to make the sections logical yet concise.
Outcome: The outcome of this step would depend on the process. At times, the customer has to make changes and return the text to us. Other times, we make the changes and have the customer confirm them.
What improvements do we work on?
- Conciseness – sentence level, paragraph level, entire text level
- What is “important information”
- Linear thinking
- Political correctness and sensitivity (gender and other issues)
- Using sources (aka plagiarism) – where do we draw the line?
- Importance of consistent references (down to the tiniest details)
What if there are mistakes?
Free academic re-editing if your manuscript is rejected due to English-language errors.
… and here we fall down the rabbit hole because each paper is a world unto itself. I have edited papers in 5-6 hours, and needed 20+ hours for others. Commercially, I’m not quite sure how to deal with this. I will leave that to your expertise.
We have prepared manuscripts for the following journals:
- Journal of Law, Finance and Accounting
- Educational Research
- California Management Review
- Journal of Sustainable Tourism
- Journal of Business Ethics
- Global Strategy Journal
- Academy of Management Journal
- International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management
- Organization Studies
- Business Ethics Quarterly
- Management International Review
- ILR Review: The Journal of Work and Policy
- Journal of Accounting and Economics
- Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal
- Strategic Management Journal
- International Journal of Educational Development